Apparitions

Greetings one and all. Sorry for the delay in my weekly postings. I had been out of town for a four day weekend to Washington DC for a friends wedding. I had the opportunity to visit some interesting sights as well as national monuments. This afforded me the chance to take some images I may not get a chance to do again. However that being said, my photographic skills were certainly challenged. I forgot to take a tripod which is essential for night photography. But, despite that I had a great time and came away with some interesting images.

Now to the point of this post. I have been wanting to experiment with black and white and the idea of apparitions. I am trying out a technique using a combination of blur and blend modes to give me the effect I am trying to achieve. I wanted the image to be somewhat recognizable. Yet, ethereal in feel. I discovered that this was a great opportunity to use the blurry images that didn't turn out that great for other things. So, you be the judge.

 

This first image was taken at the Lincoln memorial. It was one that I took at night and with my cell phone. I couldn't get my expensive Nikon to get a good image. I really like the ethereal feel of this picture.


This was taken at the FDR memorial. I really find that statues really make interesting subjects. The only downside is the hard lines of the sculpture. Real people have a softness about them that lends itself to a more believable apparition..


I am not sure who these two are but, I took this at the same FDR site. I just liked this composition and the bit of text that appears in the image.


Finally this is FDR again as a younger man sitting in his study I think. I am not really sure as it was really dark and hard to read the little plaques. But, all of these images were converted to black and white and processed with a blur and blend mode. It is fun to experiment with some new ideas.

I hope your week goes well as we are headed towards the end. May you have peace, love and a whole lot of creativity grace your path.

Comments

Karen Mallory said…
They are looking great Cody! Perhaps title them as if the spirits were visiting their statues. It is always fun the experiment as that is just part of our art process!
hugs Karen
Cody Goodin said…
Thanks Karen, it is true that it is fun to try out ideas. Yes, titles would be most important for these. I am thinking of using black and white for my final portfolio assignment I love the power and beauty of this type of image.
PB said…
You are headed into a very interesting direction. Appealing, challenging and begs for the artists hand. I look forward to seeing more. You did better with the FDR statue than you think. I see life there.
Cody Goodin said…
Thanks you PB, that means a lot. I am really beginning to like the black and white images.

Popular posts from this blog

Projects a plenty

ADO Art Dolls Only Elements Challenge - Water

Anniversary Giveaway of Sorts