For Something Completely Different


I am not sure how other artists deal with the past.  But, for me, I like to revisit previous themes or types of constructions.  In this case, oh about six years ago I started making these figurative pieces I called house spirits.  Another name I used was House Mojos.  They were typically mixed media figures.  Simple in design and construction.  Less is more I guess you could say.  To me they were like artistic talismans that were created to infuse certain energies into ones home.  But, they didn't seem to make any connection with other people.  Yes, a few would comment on them.  I even sold a few.  But, I loved them and only made around ten of them.  Where is this story going?  Well, after teaching at Artiscape this year, one of the pieces I did for an auction to raise money this year was one of these talismans.  It seemed to be a big hit.  Ah ha, finally an audience that really appreciated them.  So, I have decided to teach this very personal art form.  So, I created and am still working on some pieces for the proposal process.  It is allowing me to revisit some aspects of creating that I tend to loose touch with.  You know the spiritual stuff that really makes me tick.

I love ritual and how the act of creating is so therapeutic.  Since I am going through some difficult issues at the moment, I felt I needed to find a way to process it all.  This first piece was created for a theme that my local doll guild and one from Indianapolis Indiana did for our annual joint meeting yesterday.  The theme was herbs.  So, my contribution was Lemon Grass and Bamboo.  Both exotic and very useful herbs or plants.


Here is an up close view of his upper body.  These figures are meant to be hung on a wall or post.  I just love this format for some reason.  This one in particular was a bit re-purposed as I changed out the original flower head piece for the lemon grass and then added the bamboo branch.


This fun little guy is called the White Flower House Spirit.  Just in time to bring some fun spring energy into your life


Here is a close up view of White Flower.


This piece is a work in progress.  I am making him as a way of dealing with some issues.  He will be a personal piece and also will give me a brand new approach for the class proposal.  I had made these skull heads last year for another class and most thought they were a bit too dark.  So, I got to bring them back home and thought, ah ha I know how to use this one at any rate.  The tail piece is another one of those flat curly willow branches that I love.


Here is the up close view of the upper part of the figure.  Still a ways to go yet.  But, I am enjoying the break from the goblins to do something a bit more serious or contemplative.  No, I am not giving up on the goblins.  They are just on vacay for a bit.  I have so many other things that need their time in the sun so to speak.  Actually I am hoping to do some other fun mythological beasties.  So, who knows what will come parading through on the blog.  Have a fabulous week everyone.  I will post when I have more art thingies to share.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cody,
Love them, love them! You have inspired me to go back and try these. I started out doing simple constructed pieces like this. It may be time to revisit.
Peace,
Joyce
Cody Goodin said…
HI Joyce, I think revisiting past forms of interest sometimes leads us to something even better. I can go back with a fresh eye. Good to hear from you.
Coach Z said…
I love the house spirts, Cody. They are raw and primal and I like that. I got Buddha Bunny today!!! and I posted him on my blog!!! THANK YOU!!!
Cody Goodin said…
You are welcome. Thank you too for the feedback.

Popular posts from this blog

Projects a plenty

ADO Art Dolls Only Elements Challenge - Water

Anniversary Giveaway of Sorts