Monday, January 09, 2012
Another Work Challenge
You are probably wondering why there is a picture of this mini Munny doll on here. Well, Plaza Art where I work decided to make this our December challenge. Our store was selling these little guys during the holidays. So, the staff decided it would be fun to get one and alter it. The one pictured above is what I decided upon. As the cute name implies,, he is a baby giraffe. So, not wanting to stick within the norm, I decided that mine would transform into something a bit more mythical.
As you can see, he has become a baby dragon. At least that is what my intentions were at the time. Even though I still contend he is indeed a baby dragon. He kind of looks like a Pokemon.
This was actually a bit of a challenge at first. Because one of my coworkers said to me, you know he needs to have scales. Sure he does, he's a dragon. I told everyone at work what I was hoping to create out of my blank doll. The question for me was how would I pull this feat off. I have never attempted to transform or alter one of these vinyl dolls before. So, the big question was what materials would I incorporate into the design that would allow me to make the scale like texture.
I pondered the use of Apoxy Sculpt but, I really hate the working time issue and also, it is too fussy for me. I like that stuff for joining or making an inner skin structure but, I like polymer clay better for sculpting. So, I decided that Super Sculpey would be the best choice for my sculpting process. But, and it was a big BUT. Can the vinyl toy be baked in the oven at the temperature that the Sculpey needs to cure? On to the internet to do some research. Lo and behold, I found many references to people saying that they had heard of artists doing that baking thing with Sculpey but, were too afraid to try it themselves. Most of the people who had used Sculpey boiled their pieces. Boiled? Not me, I thought, well the whole thing will be covered with the clay. If it does get soft, it should still hold together. As you can see, it did indeed hold together.
I guess you can say I am a bit fearless when it comes to trying out something new. Yes, I was a wee bit worried about ruining my little doll. As there would be no easy replacement for him. But, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. So, he was entirely covered with Super Sculpey then painted with a number of layers of acrylic paints and stain glazes. The final coat being a satin varnish to seal the deal. It was a fun and worthwhile experiment. One which I am eager to try again so the search is on for interesting blank vinyl toys to play around with.
I do hope the new year is treating you well so far. It is so great to see you all visit from time to time. I know I haven't been posting much work of late. Lots of things in various stages at this point. But, I am feeling more energized so, there should be some new things up soon. Thank you for staying with me over the years. Oh, keep an eye out here. I am planning a little blog giveaway just for you all.