Alternate Realities

Trying to make a big effort to at least post once a week on ye ole blog. I feel that it is an important part of my process to share what I am working on, my thought process and my overall view of my world. I love how art can be used to express more abstract ideas and also be used to tell a story. Photography has become one of the best ways for me to do this. Partly because it is so immediate and I can go back and manipulate the image in so many ways in a shorter amount of time than traditional drawing and painting. Don't get me wrong, I love the traditional methods just fine. But, I have found that the photographic process really lends itself to my thought process much better. When your ideas come fast and furious, the best thing is to try and get them out as quickly as I can. Then I have to be mindful too of the quality of the finished image.

The finished image comes in stages and that is just fine by me. I can work on a number of images at one time and continually refine them until I am happy with the end result. On that note let me share some of the recent images I have been creating and perhaps the story behind them or at least give you enough to create your own stories.


This first image I called "Distortions". Mainly because I was thinking about what it would feel like to live on another planet or moon of a planet elsewhere in the cosmos. Would the atmosphere distort the way the inhabitants saw their world? You know, the density of the air, the gravity and such things can affect our perceptions. Thus, this image came about because of those ponderings.


Nest we have one of my circular images that I have been playing around with. There are so many ways you can manipulate the image. I immediately thought of Alice falling into the rabbit hole and then this image also made me think of Wonderland in the Peter Pan stories. So, I call this one "Falling Towards Neverland". It is warm but also kind of dark and mysterious. That is what a lot of my dreams seem to feel like these days.


The third image is another science fiction themed idea. I love the idea of cosmic creations and perhaps a little bit of extraterrestrial activities. "The Birth of a Sky Flower" is born. It is a cosmic event that tends to create a great deal of energy and distortions in our reality. Maybe it is also the transcendence of our planet into a higher plane of existence.


Last but, certainly not least we have one I call "In Another Place and Time", which gives me a feeling of a tranquil rural scene on some other earth like planet somewhere out there in the universe. I love creating these illustrative style photos. I have been following a few photographers who have been going this route with their photography and it makes me feel happy and like I am with kindred spirits. I hope you enjoy my little vignettes into the worlds I imagine.

Have a great rest of your week and a beautiful weekend. Thank you for stopping by.

Comments

Karen Mallory said…
I totally love all your new photo manipulations! They make imagination work overtime. I was looking at them thinking they would make great Sci-fi book covers! I love fantasy and sci-fi and your new photos really hit the spot!! :)
hugs Karen
Karen Mallory said…
I totally love all your new photo manipulations! They make imagination work overtime. I was looking at them thinking they would make great Sci-fi book covers! I love fantasy and sci-fi and your new photos really hit the spot!! :)
hugs Karen
Cody Goodin said…
Thanks Karen, I appreciate the feedback. I too love sci fi and fantasy. That is what the photos are meant to do, spark one's imagination.

Popular posts from this blog

Projects a plenty

ADO Art Dolls Only Elements Challenge - Water

Anniversary Giveaway of Sorts