New Directions


Happiest of Halloween to you all out there in cyberspace.  I hope your week will be off to a spook-tac-u-lar start.  As you may have noticed, I have started to try a few things in the studio.  This process isn't exactly new to me.  But, I haven't sculpted a relief style figure this big as of yet.  So, I have decided to try this format out for a bit.  Unfortunately I have hit the imaginary brick wall in regards to my big project on my mythic journey.  I am struggling with the format and time issues.  You know I am not the most patient of people.  So, this process of planning and trying to create the characters with so many other ideas flying at me and having to work a real job.  Take their toll on my ability to devote tons of time on anything really.  Instead I break it up into little fragments and nothing really gets accomplished it seems.  This seems to be the story of my life of late.  At least the big anxiety wave has passed for now.

What you might want to know is what are these two pictures of?

At my art store retail job, we the employees are undertaking an exploration of different media each month.  This month it has been about using acrylic mediums in whatever fashion we choose.  The finished results will be displayed in our store along with the products we used.  So these two panel sculpts are being done for that purpose.  I couldn't decide on a subject so being the over achiever I am, I decided to sculpt two and pick the one I liked the most.  Here they are in the I just sculpted them phase.  Once they are dry and ready to paint, I will embark on that process.  Cramming a twenty hour painting process into just a few in order to meet the deadline..


These are constructed on stretched canvas that I applied several layers of chip board.  Then they were covered with coats of gesso and decorative papers.  Once that was dry, I sculpted the figures onto it using Das Pronto air dry clay.  Once this is dry I will coat with several coats of sealer then the long paint and glaze process.  I used super heavy matte gel medium for most of it and then on the second image there is some Golden Paints crackle medium smeared on with a palette knife in a few spots.

The first image is Oak Man and the second piece is Wood Nymph One.  I will keep you all posted with the progress.  So have a great week and thanks as always for stopping by.

Comments

Lorell Lehman said…
I love what you're doing here Cody, the end result will be spectacular!
Sorry you've hit that damn wall....I hate that wall, I know it far too intimately :)
xxoo
Cody Goodin said…
Thanks Lorell, I think once I get some of the side notes out of my system, I will be fine. Time is what I really need and lots of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Projects a plenty

ADO Art Dolls Only Elements Challenge - Water

Anniversary Giveaway of Sorts