A Closer Look


OK, my friends I am going to attempt something a bit different than my usual art and postings here for a little bit.  So, hopefully you will appreciate my journey I have just begun.  First let me start out by saying that I am a big supporter of art as a healing tool.  Throughout my doll making career I have made a number of healing dolls for friends and family and that  is what actually started me off in doll making.  Many times I have used this art form to help me cope with a variety of issues that I have experienced over the course of my life.  Even as a child I made rag dolls to play with and they became my personal family.

Where am I going with all this you may ask?  Well, I have finally reached a stage in my life and as an artist where I can finally tackle a very deep personal issue through my art.  I am not sure what doors this will open, but one thing is for sure.  It will be a healing experience as it has already begun that process for me.  I have started a new project.  I borrowed the term from a dear friend and spiritual mentor, and am calling this my healing Novena   It is a nine day ritual of using art to help me finally face and heal a very dark chapter in my early life the loss of my parents.  It is funny how we tend to bury those things that bring us such pain and confusion.  I marvel at how the Universe conspires to place at just the right place and just the right moment for such a truly beautiful moment of grace, forgiveness and love.  My greatest hope in this process is to finally bring this part of me out into the light to be healed.

Above is the head of the new project.  He is an older aged person at least that is how he appears to me. I started this journey yesterday.  Significant numerically as ten is  also a one in numerology terms which signifies a new beginning or new journey.  This seems fitting to me.  The nine days of my art Novena are symbolic too as nine is a powerful spiritual number.

Today is day two and I am planning to create the hands and feet for this inner me. Thank you all for your loving encouragement over the years I have shared my art with you.  You all make this process an easier one.  Until nest time.  May peace and love be your constant companions.

Comments

flyingbeader said…
I am lucky that my Mom still is alive, but my Father died early at 61. That was 22 years ago and I still miss him to this day. I have a picture of him in my bedroom and I say goodnight to my Daddy every time I lay my head on the pillow. Loss is something that never leaves us no matter be in parent, partner, or our fuzzy little friend who we share our love with. Take this journey my friend and find the strength to heal
Cody Goodin said…
Thanks Dot, it is a long time in coming for me. You know we try and put on a brave face for others, give to others and now, it has come to a point where I need to finally bring this part of me into physical form. It is easier for me to deal with it when I can see it before me. I am so ready for this now.
M Dawson said…
Cody,

This kind of thing taks courage and, as you say, has to be done when you feel ready. I will follow your journey with interest and hope.
gloriana said…
Hi Cody! Gloria from THE STREET! I was very moved and touched by your healing journey story. It's just what I need for now as well! I lost my Mother March of 2011 on my birthday. She struggled with alzheimers with 12 years and was in my and my husbands care for 8 yrs. My father now is at the short-term-memory loss stage. It's all very disheartening. I just lost my beloved dog to cancer of the spleen. She wasnt quite 8 yrs old. IN THE midst of this my husband is unemployed and we had to leave our leased house after losing our own paid for house to my 2 bouts with cancer. I have been scrambling to make enough money on Ebay selling our things, artist and crafter items to keep us afloat.....and the list goes on. So....all I really want to say from all this is THANK YOU Cody for touching a place in me that needs healing and I DO believe that art is the answer. From an early age of around 4 I was crocheting and that brought me a lot of comfort thru the years, now I am into other creating and I do need to force myself the time to get away from 7 days a week of 14 hr days of Ebay selling and do something for me!
Dollie Huggs and have a dollicious journey my friend
GLoria
Cody Goodin said…
Thanks Gloria and Whskr that is what it is all about. Sharing our journey in hopes it may speak to or help someone else. We are truly not alone. Gloria you have the same name as my big sister. I wish all the healing and good things that can come your way. When I am experiencing tough times I am always reminded of others who are like me or worse off and I am thankful for what I do have. But, it does not diminish the healing we need. You are in my thoughts and hope things get better for you real soon my friend.
Colleen said…
Hi Cody, Good for you for taking this journey. It isn't hard facing this kind of thing, but I hope you and your art will be better for it. Thinking of you...
Cody Goodin said…
Thank you Colleen, I appreciate your kind words.
Leilani Lyons said…
Yes, Cody, yes!! This is a fine thing you are doing. Art guided by our inner self can be a scary journey but it is incredibly powerful and healing...even necessary. Thank you for sharing this reminder. Wishing you the best.
Cody Goodin said…
Leilani thank you for your kind words. It is a great thing to be able to use one's creative endeavors and talents to help heal. No matter what type of healing is needed.

Popular posts from this blog

Projects a plenty

ADO Art Dolls Only Elements Challenge - Water

Anniversary Giveaway of Sorts